Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Hobbit

Pages: 66-95

The first writing style I identified was mood.  Here is one thing that affected how I felt, ""What has it got in it;s pocketses?'  The sound came hissing louder and sharper, and as he looked towards it, to his alarm, Bilbo now saw two small points of light.  Peering at him as suspicion grew in Gollum's mind,"  I think the mood affected me because of a memory I have.  I remember when I was younger and I stole something from my brother, and he was growing suspicious and eventually enraged, I got scared he was gonna kill me (figuratively of course).  I know that Bilbo felt the same except Gollum would have killed him for real.  That helped my understand the situation a bit more.

Another thing I identified was the tone the author had against Gandalf.  The author said "Gandalf! If you have heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale."  This tells s that the author has high regards for Gandalf.  We know this because he says that if we only know little, we would be ready for the best of stories.

Another thing I noticed was point of view.  The quote I used in the previous paragraph is the one that I noticed to have point of view.  The author is using his high regard for Gandalf, to build up the character.  Since he has done this, we now have a positive feeling about Gandalf.   The way he described him, made us feel positively about him.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's really great how you incorporated your own experiences into how the book made you feel. I feel like how we subconsciously relate our own experiences helps us understand the mood and the character and I think it's really cool how you were able to identify that. With the point of view I like how you show us that Tolkien has a 3rd person point of view, but shows his bias towards the good guys such as Thorin & Company, Gandalf, and Bilbo. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete