Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Hobbit: Literiary Style

Pages: 1-43

In The Hobbit  there are many things that the author describes that you can feel.  You can remember an time where you have had the same feeling.  Here's an example. "They decided in the end that they would have to camp where they were.  They moved to a clump of trees, and though it was drier under them, the win shook the rain off the leaves, and the drip, drip, was most annoying."  I remember a time where I went camping, and it had just rained.  The spot where we set down was a bit drier than most spots, but not by much.  Occasionally the wind would blow and the water would drip on us too.

They also describe a lovely morning in the very beginning.  The sun is shining, Bilbo is sitting out side, and everything is just wonderful.  This remind me about many days this previous summer.  I remember one particular time where there was a nice sunrise, and it wasn't too hot or too cold.  There I was lying in the grass in my back yard.  Well it didn't last too long!  Collin and his friends stormed the backyard with Nerf guns.  Fortunately I already knew they were coming, so I took out mine and shot them all.  Bilbo's morning was ruined by a fateful encounter with Gandalf and his talk of adventures.  My experience helps me imagine his because,well, I have experienced fine mornings being ruined.  Our morning's were both ruined in fact.

Another time where imagery helped my understand the story better is when all the dwarves first show up at his doorstep.  They describe his reaction shocked and confused.  I remember a time when it was Christmas and my whole family was there.  Well there was somebody that wasn't normally there too.  My uncle made a surprise visit from Japan here. We were all surprised.  Just like Bilbo I was shocked.



They use figurative language when they sing "while hammers fell like ringing bells" As you can see, they are using the word "like" which is making a comparison, thus making it a simile..  They compares hammers to ringing bells with the word like.  Other than that, there aren't really examples of figurative language from where I am in the book.  Everything they say is pretty much literal.


2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog this week. I like how you compared the imagery to your everyday life. I also like how you state how the imagery has helped you understand the story better. Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nik,
    Great blog for this week! I like how you used textual evidence each time you went on to say another example of imagery or figurative language. I liked how you did more than just stating evidence, you used connections and explained everything very well. I have a few questions, this is the first book right? How do you like it so far? Nice job!

    ReplyDelete